Maunsell Sea Forts
The Maunsell Sea Forts are a series of 7 sea forts in the Thames and Mersey Estuaries. They were constructed during World War II to spot and destroy incoming German aircraft, and prevent the mining of the two main estuaries. The forts consist of four naval forts which were maned by 150-300 men:
- Rough Sands – Currently claimed by the micronation of Sealand
- Sunk Head – Destroyed
- Toungue Sands – Destroyed
- Knock John – Beleived to be abandoned
and three larger Army Forts:
- Nore – Destroyed and removed
- Red Sands – Was the location of pirate radio station Radio Invicta now believed to be abandoned.
- Shivering Sands – Was the location of pirate radio station Radio City now it houses a searchlight tower and various radio equipment. It is mostly abandoned and visited infrequently.